Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Poppy's Grapefruit Bread

If you are not a grapefruit eater, like myself, you might be inclined to pass on this recipe.  BUT DON'T!  Stop what you are doing, write down the needed ingredients, get in your car and head to the store now.  You won't regret it.  I promise.  I named this "Poppy's Grapefruit Bread" because I made it for my father (the boys call him "Poppy").  He loves grapefruit.  I never could stand the stuff - too sour.  I tried to drink the stuff for a diet once... lasted one day.  Yuck!  Just made me want chocolate all the more.  But it smelled so good as I was mixing the batter that I just had to give it a taste.  Oh, my.  And then I sliced into the finished product.  Oh my goodness, you have to try it, too.


Poppy's Grapefruit Bread

  • 5 large eggs, room temperature
  • 3 Tbl poppy seeds
  • 2 Tbl grated grapefruit peel (I use a microplane.)
  • 1/2 cup grapefruit juice
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 2/3 cup sugar, separated
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 cups cake flour, sifted
  • 2 cups confectioner's sugar
At least one hour before assembling ingredients, set out eggs and butter to come to room temperature.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Coat a 5x9 loaf pan with baking spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, poppy seeds, grapefruit peel and vanilla.  In a small bowl, whisk together 1/3 cup sugar with 1/4 cup grapefruit juice until sugar dissolves.  Using an electric mixer, beat butter on medium until creamy, about 30 seconds.  Increase speed to high, gradually adding in remaining 1 1/3 cups of sugar  and the salt; beat for 3 to 5 minutes until light and fluffy.  Slowly add egg mixture and sugar mixture, 2 tablespoons at a time.  Decrease speed to low and mix in flour in 3 parts until just combined.  Scrape batter into prepared pan.  Bake for 60 to 70 minutes.  Let cool for 1 hour.  Meanwhile, whisk together confectioner's sugar and the remaining 1/4 cup grapefruit juice.  Drizzle over the top.  Slice.  Serve.  Mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment