Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Enchilada Spaghetti

I recently came across a recipe that married two of my favorite foods:  spaghetti and enchiladas.  What should I call something like that?  Enchi-ghetti?  Spa-lada?  Hm, that's a good question, but a better question is: why had I never thought of doing this?  I love pasta of any kind.  And usually, my men love it to... but not spaghetti.  Spaghetti with a tomato sauce, that is.  Oh, they will eat Alfredo sauce all the day long, but do you know how many calories are in it!?!  Exactly.  

I made the dish exactly according to the recipe I downloaded, which said it served 4.  Generally, because my boys are small, such recipes usually are more than enough for my crew.  But after dishing up for my men, I didn't even get a bite.  Well, that's not true... I did steal a bite, or two, from each of the boys plates, but that's just between me and you.  I'm happy to announce, though, that they loved it and I have added yet another inexpensive, quick, and easy dish to the list of foods we will be eating while I'm in nursing school.  I can't say that Brandon will be helping prepare this dish, but atleast it won't be a burden for me to put together after a long day of clinicals.

So, the recipe I'm about to give you, I adapted to feed 4 to 6 with decent sized portions, allowing for the possibility of leftovers for lunch the next day.


"Enchi-ghetti" (I really liked the sound of that one.)
(Sorry, no photo.  Camera still broken.)

  • 1 lb dry Whole Wheat Spaghetti, cooked to al-dente
  • 1 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, halved and sliced 
  • 1 small green pepper, halved and sliced  
  •  salt and pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely minced or pressed
  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • dash of cayenne
  • 2 (10 oz) cans red enchilada sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • cilantro (optional)
  • lime wedges (optional)
If you haven't pre-cooked the chicken breasts, start that first.  You can add them to the dish later, without affecting the final presentation too much.  Prepare pasta according to directions until al-dente.  Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add onions, peppers, a dash of salt and pepper and let cook until vegetables are soft, about 5 to 6 minutes.  Add garlic and spices, cook for 1 more minute.  Turn heat to low and add enchilada sauce, chicken, and cooked pasta.  Fold in cheese.  Garnish with cilantro and/or lime.

*Seeing as how this was my first attempt, I didn't make anything to go with it.  But my husband and I both think that a side of cornbread would be a nice accompaniment in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment